Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Reading The Bible Is Hard!!


Let's face it. Reading the bible is hard. We have good intentions when we set out to read the Bible in a year, but honestly, how often do we finish? After a couple of months you hit Leviticus and you get bogged down. So, you let up on your reading, then the next thing you know you're watching Scooby Doo instead of doing your reading. I recently learned a method of Bible study that has worked well for me and I thought I'd share it. I learned this method from listening to Pastor Matt Chandler of The Village Church*. What I'm going to present here are simple guidelines for successful Bible reading.

Okay, let's get started! You're gonna need a few things. As I go through the list I'll try to explain the what, how, and what-for for all the items.

1. You need time and a place -
For me, I work best at night in the spare bedroom. Interruptions can be a problem, so I try to schedule my time for when everyone else is asleep. It doesn't really matter when or where. Just be consistent and work in an area that is comfortable for you.

2. You need a Bible -
This is a no-brainer. Let me give you a little bit of info on the various translations out there. There are so many versions that one can easily be confused about which one to use. There are basically three types of Bibles: word-for-word, thought-for-thought, and paraphrase. For simple Bible reading it really doesn't matter what you use. But, if you're going to do any serious Bible studying I recommend a word-for-word translation. Some examples of word for word are the NASB, KJV, and the ESV. If you're old school then you may like the KJV. I don't. We just don't talk like that anymore. How many times have you heard the word 'wert' today? Not much I would presume. The NASB is a good translation. It is hard to grasp sometimes, though. Don't believe me? Try reading Hebrews in a NASB. It'll blow your mind! It tends to be wooden and darn near unreadable at times. That's why I use the ESV. The ESV is word-for-word translation. They made it far more readable than the NASB, but still kept it close to the original languages. I suggest getting the ESV Study Bible. It is a monster of a bible. It's freaking huge, but it is awesome!! I love it. It's not one you want to haul around much, but for a good study Bible it can't be beat. The maps are amazing and so are the notes. It is a must-have for any serious Bible reader.

3. You need a pen and a highlighter -
Sometimes when you're reading the Bible a verse or passage will pop out at you. What do you think causes that? Or, perhaps I should say, who do you think causes that? It's the Holy Spirit, dum-dum! When that happens God is trying to tell you something. Highlight those verses. We'll come back to them later.

4. You need a reading plan -
This will help you keep on track with your reading. I started running everyday a couple of months ago, but I really didn't have any specific plan or goal. I no longer run. I believe that if you set out with a goal and a plan you'll be more likely to see it to the end. I think trying to read the Bible every year is a great goal to have, but realistically I think it's better to not make it a race. I suggest only reading two or three chapters a day. You will not finish the Bible in a year by doing that, but you're less likely to burn out. If you have a learning disability or poor reading comprehension you may read less. You may only read a verse a day. It really doesn't matter. This isn't a race.

5. You need a journal -
Now guys, I know you're gonna balk on me here, but please hear me out. I'm not telling you to keep a diary (although I don't think there is anything wrong with diaries). The primary purpose of this journal is to keep a record of the things you're learning from the Lord. I'll explain how to utilize the journal in a moment.

6. You need a planner -
Anytime you try to do something pleasing to the Lord, like getting in His word and learning His will, then the Enemy will come at you with all he's got! You'll sit down to read then suddenly you'll remember that you didn't take out the trash. Or you'll think, "I really need to trim those hedges." When that happens, write it in your planner. You can take care of it later. That way your mind can go back to the task at hand.

Okay, so let's put this all together to see how it works. First, I say a prayer. Something simple like, "Holy Spirit, please illuminate this text for me." Then I begin reading. As I read I highlight any verses that pop out to me. Once I'm finished reading I go back over the verses I've highlighted. If more than one verse pops out then I pray over them and choose the one I feel lead to choose.

Now I'm going to ask you to do something absolutely radical. Something so outlandishly crazy that you may shut down your computer and walk away... Write down the verse in your journal... I know, I know, writing sucks. In these days of computers and iPhones I can promise you this: your hand is gonna hurt. Don't worry, you'll get use to it. After you write out the verse then think about it. Write your observations down in your journal. Don't worry about spelling, punctuation or grammar. Just get your ideas down in your journal.

After this, we move into application. Ask, "How do I apply this to my life?" Be specific. If you read 'Do not lie.' Then don't be like, "Oh yeah, I probably shouldn't lie." Everyone knows that! Instead maybe you should say, "I really should quit cheating on my taxes. That's lying... and stealing!"

Once you write out your application you should go to the Lord in prayer. I recommend you spend a lot of time in prayer this time around. Focus on God's love. Praise Him! Thank Him! I would consider writing your prayer out in your journal. That helps me concentrate on what I'm saying and provides me with a record of my concerns during that season in my life.

When you first start out don't try to study for an hour. At first you may need to do 10 or 20 minutes. Give yourself room to grow! Eventually, the goal should be about 20 minutes of reading, 20 minutes of writing in your journal, and 20 minutes of prayer. That gives you a solid hour with the Lord everyday. You'll be amazed at how much you mature as a Christian and how close your relationship with the Lord will progress if you try this method out. Don't think of these as rules. Think of them as guides to growing in the Lord.

Before you start arguing saying, "I don't have an hour to spend reading the Bible! I just don't have time!" Let me tell you this... Lean close and listen to me... You're lying. We have all been given twenty-four hours. You have the same amount of time that I have. You may work more hours, but I assure you there is an hour somewhere in your day that you can get quiet and let the Lord speak to you through His word. Just do it!! You will not be disappointed! I promise.

*If you're interested in hearing the seminar by Pastor Matt Chandler then listen here: http://bit.ly/alFfL5 He is much more entertaining than I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment